Ten Things to Know About the Taxpayer Advocate Service
1. The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the IRS and is your voice at the IRS.
2. We help taxpayers whose problems are causing financial difficulty. This includes businesses as well as individuals.
3. You may be eligible for our help if you’ve tried to resolve your tax problem through normal IRS channels and have gotten nowhere, or you believe an IRS procedure just isn’t working as it should.
4. The IRS has adopted a Taxpayer Bill of Rights that includes 10 fundamental rights that every taxpayer has when interacting with the IRS:
Taxpayer Bill of Rights
The Right to Be Informed.
The Right to Quality Service.
The Right to Pay No More than the Correct Amount of Tax.
The Right to Challenge the IRS’s Position and Be Heard.
The Right to Appeal an IRS Decision in an Independent Forum.
The Right to Finality.
The Right to Privacy.
The Right to Confidentiality.
The Right to Retain Representation.
The Right to a Fair and Just Tax System.
Our TAS Tax Toolkit at TaxpayerAdvocate.irs.gov can help you understand these rights and what they mean for you. The toolkit also has examples that show how the Taxpayer Bill of Rights can apply in specific situations.
5. If you qualify for our help, you’ll be assigned to one advocate who will be with you at every turn. And our service is always free.
6. We have at least one local taxpayer advocate office in every state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. You can call your advocate, whose number is in your local directory, in Pub. 1546, Taxpayer Advocate Service — Your Voice at the IRS, and on our website at irs.gov/advocate. You can also call us toll-free at
7. The TAS Tax Toolkit at TaxpayerAdvocate.irs.gov has basic tax information, details about tax credits (for individuals and businesses), and much more.
8. TAS also handles large-scale or systemic problems that affect many taxpayers. If you know of one of these broad issues, please report it to us atwww.irs.gov/sams.
9. You can get updates at
10. TAS is here to help you, because when you’re dealing with a tax problem, the worst thing you can do is to do nothing at all.
For assistance with disclosing your undeclared foreign bank accounts (offshore voluntary disclosure program, OVDP), report of foreign bank & financial accounts (FBAR), foreign account tax compliance act (FATCA), tax preparation, tax planning, tax audit IRS representation, and the US treasury office of foreign assets control (OFAC), contact Zaher Fallahi, Los Angeles Tax Attorney, Los Angeles OFAC Attorney, Los Angeles Tax CPA, Los Angeles Dental CPA, at (310) 719-1040 and Orange County Tax Attorney, Orange County OFAC Attorney, Orange County Tax CPA, Orange County Dental CPA, at (714) 546-4272 (Orange County) or e-mail: [email protected]