Dropdown button for navigation mobile view

IRS; Protect Taxpayers from Identity Theft

Posted by: Zaher Fallahi
Posted On: Aug 08, 2017

IRS; Protect Taxpayers from Identity Theft

Identity theft happens when someone steals someone else’s personal information for financial gain. Tax-related identity theft happens when someone uses another person’s stolen Social Security number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN) to file a tax return to obtain a fraudulent refund.


Many people first find out they are victims of identity theft when they submit their tax returns. That’s because the IRS lets them know someone else already used their SSN to file.


The IRS continues to work hard to stop identity theft with a strategy of prevention, detection and victim assistance. So far, the agency has stopped millions of dollars from getting into the hands of thieves.


Check out these eight tips on how to protect against identity theft:


  1. Taxes, Security, Together

The IRS, the states and the tax industry need everyone’s help. The IRS launched The Taxes. Security. Together. awareness campaign in 2015 to inform people about ways to protect their personal, tax and financial data. Learn more at www.IRS.gov/TaxesSecurityTogether.


  1. Protect Personal and Financial Records

Taxpayers should not carry their Social Security card in their wallet or purse. They should only provide their Social Security number if it’s necessary. Protect personal information at home and protect personal computers with anti-spam and anti-virus software. Routinely change passwords for online accounts.


  1. Don’t Fall for Scams

Criminals often try to impersonate banks, credit card companies and even the IRS hoping to steal personal data. Learn to recognize and avoid those fake communications. Also, the IRS will not call a taxpayer threatening a lawsuit, arrest or to demand immediate payment. Beware of threatening phone calls from someone claiming to be from the IRS.


  1. Report Tax-Related ID Theft

Here’s what taxpayers should do if they cannot e-file their return because someone already filed using their SSN:

i) File a tax return by paper and pay any taxes owed.

ii) File an IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. Print the form and mail or fax it according to the instructions. Include it with the paper tax return and/or attach a police report describing the theft if available.

iii) File a report with the Federal Trade Commission using the FTC Complaint Assistant.

iv) Contact Social Security Administration at ssa.govand type in “identity theft” in the search box.

v) Contact financial institutions to report the alleged identity theft.

vi) Contact one of the three credit bureaus so they can place a fraud alert or credit freeze on the affected account.

vii) Check with the applicable state tax agency to see if there are additional steps to take at the state level.


  1. IRS Letters

If the IRS identifies a suspicious tax return with a taxpayer’s stolen SSN, that taxpayer may receive a letter asking them verify their identity by calling a special number or visiting an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.


  1. IP PIN

If a taxpayer is a confirmed ID theft victim, the IRS may issue them an IP PIN. The IP PIN is a unique six-digit number that the taxpayer uses to e-file their tax return. Each year, they will receive an IRS letter with a new IP PIN.


  1. Report Suspicious Activity

If taxpayers suspect or know of an individual or business that is committing tax fraud, they can visit IRS.gov and follow the chart on How to Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity.


  1. Service Options

Information about tax-related identity theft is available online. The IRS has a special section on IRS.gov devoted to identity theft and information for victims to obtain assistance.


For more on this Topic, see the Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft.

Avoid scams. The IRS does not initiate contact using social media or text message. The first contact normally comes in the mail. Those wondering if they owe money to the IRS can view their tax account information on IRS.gov to find out.


Zaher Fallahi, Tax Attorney, CPA,  assist taxpayers including Americans Living Abroad, in resolving their tax problems and undisclosed foreign bank accounts; FBAR, FATCA and Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP).  Telephones: (310) 719-1040 (Los Angeles), (714) 546-4272 (Orange County), e-mail taxattorney@zfcpa.com