Delinquent FBAR Submission Procedures
Taxpayers who do not need to use either the OVDP (described in section 1 above) or the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures (set forth in section 2 above) to file delinquent or amended tax returns to report and pay additional tax, but who:
- have not filed a required Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) (FinCEN Form 114, previously Form TD F 90-22.1)
- are not under a civil examination or a criminal investigation by the IRS, and
- have not already been contacted by the IRS about the delinquent FBARs
should file the delinquent FBARs according to the FBAR instructions and include a statement explaining why the FBARs are filed late. All FBARs are required to be filed electronically at FinCen.
On the cover page of the electronic form, select the reason for filing late. If you are unable to file electronically, you may contact FinCEN’s Regulatory Helpline at 1-800-949-2732 or 1-703-905-3975 (if calling from outside the United States) to determine possible alternatives to electronic filing.
The IRS will not impose a penalty for the failure to file the delinquent FBARs if you properly reported on your U.S. tax returns, and paid all tax on, the income from the foreign financial accounts reported on the delinquent FBARs and you have not previously been contacted regarding an income tax examination or a request for delinquent returns for the years for which the delinquent FBARs are submitted.
FBARs will not be automatically subject to audit but may be selected for audit through the existing audit selection processes that are in place for any tax or information returns.
How Can We Help
We can assist you with:
- disclosing undeclared foreign bank accounts (offshore voluntary disclosure program, OVDP)
- report of foreign bank & financial accounts (FBAR)
- foreign account tax compliance act (FATCA)
- tax preparation
- tax planning
- tax audit IRS representation
- office of foreign assets control (OFAC)
You can reach Mr. Zaher Fallahi, Orange County/Los Angeles Tax and OFAC Attorney at : (310) 719-1040 (Los Angeles), (714) 546-4272 (Orange County) or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org